Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Chew Valley

Kristi Sez: Today we drove to the Chew Valley which is approx 1 1/2 hours from our home. This was literally a trip back in time, as we drove through the little towns where some of the Chew's originated from. I'm sure Stan will have much more to share on this topic, as this trip was near and dear to his heart.

Stan Sez: Kristi knows me so well......So here goes......My mom married my dad when I was five which makes me a step son. But being five, my dad is my dad....he is all I have known and I carry his name. I remember being somewhat enthralled by this "new guy" and I asked him questions that must have tried his patience (which was pretty short). One of the questions was about my new name - where did it come from? Later in life, whilst growing up in Asia with a last name like Chew, knowing the history became pretty damn important.

As my dad told me, the Chew family in America was spawned by the coming of three sons from the Chew Valley in England to the colonies. One moved to Pennsylvania (which was really northern Maryland, up to Philly in the 1600's), one to Maryland and one to Georgia - I guess the first two sons didn't like the third. And - they prospered, sort of. Clearly, they didn't procreate like rabbits because there are not a ton of Chew's but - they prospered. From what I can gather, the first Chew in Maryland was Samual Chew.....interesting - that is my daughter's name, Samantha Chew.

Well in England , the Chew's prospered. The Chew Valley is - in a word - remarkable. It is an ancient place situated to the south of Bristol and running to Bath - these are two historic and important places in England . I can understand how a son of this family could go off to the "New World" as Bristol was literally just over the ridge and one of England 's most important ports - it still is today. Access to the America 's was close at hand. But he would have left one of England's hidden wonders - the Chew Valley is beautiful.

The first village we visited was Chew Magna - which is a studdley name - perfect for the Chew sons of today. We stopped at the Church and wandered, looking at old graves and I was hoping to come across a "Chew". Instead, we found some beautiful Galic crosses - check out the pictures in the album.

We drove on to Chew Stoke, which for my brother Tim and me is perfect given we are surfers to the core. Having a town that your blood comes from with a subfix of "Stoke" is just beyond bitchen.......Tim will understand. This town is way cool and I wish we had spent more time with pictures. But I was eager to get to the next place..........

I remember my dad saying our family was from "Chewton". We went to Chewton-Mendip and on the top of the hill was the St. Mary Magdalene, the tallest church in Somerset , the county where this town is. Same deal - we wandered the grounds for a while looking at graves. I saw an older gentlemen come up the hill and I stopped him to ask some questions. He was floored when I told him I was a "Chew" and on a quest. His name was Jack Smoot - a grand English fellow. He told me he knew no "Chews" but showed me the Church's origins, being a Saxon door - dating this to pre-1066. We parted with a "Cheerio" and then Kristi and I, within 60 seconds came upon it......... A grave marked "CHEWTON”! My blood chilled and I thought of the possible ties to my father's family. We then went into the church and there.....at the entrance....was a stone marked Chewton - UNREAL. Check out the fotos people!

We went inside this ancient Church on this hill, pre-dating my family coming to America by at least 400 years - and I thought of my brother John, my sister Candy and with great reverence, I thought of my dad. I also thought of my own brother and sister. Families are a mystery....regardless of time or circumstance or good time and bad - they are a simply a family. But standing there, in the land of Chews , in this ancient church where my father's family once stood and prayed - I have never felt more a part of a clan and better for it.
Kristi and Stan September 22, 2007

No comments: